The Tools Screen presents the ability to use the “Press This” bookmark tool and the Categories to Tags Converter.Press This
The “Press This” function allows quick posting and publishing through the use of a special web browser favorite. You can create a shortcut to allow use of “Press This” from the new post screen. You then activate the function when browsing by selecting the favorite from your web browser favorites list. Click this link to activate the Press This bookmark feature.Categories and Tags Converter
Use this to convert categories to tags or tags to categories. Selecting this will direct you to the Tools Import Screen.
Importing data into your site is in many cases a useful tactic to employ.
WordPress caters for a number of systems from which to import, listed here:
- Blogger – Import posts, comments, and users from a Blogger blog.
- Blogroll – Import links in OPML format. If not already installed this will direct you to install the WordPress.org OPML Importer.
- Categories to Tags Converter – Convert existing categories to tags, selectively.
- LiveJournal – Import posts from a LiveJournal XML export file.
- Movable Type and TypePad – Import posts and comments from a Movable Type or Typepad blog.
- RSS – Import posts from an RSS feed.
- Tumblr – Install the Tumblr importer to import posts & media from Tumblr using their API.
- WordPress – Import posts, comments, custom fields, pages, and categories from a WordPress export file.
You can export data from your WordPress site (posts, pages, comments, custom fields, terms, navigation menus and custom posts). Reasons to do this include moving site and creating a backup of your site data. Once the Export file is created, that file can be used for import by the Tools Import Screen.
The Tools Export Screen is quite simple: just specify the desired Filters, if any, you wish to apply, and then click the Download Export File button to save that file to your local computer.
When you click the Download Export File button, WordPress will create an XML file for you to save to your computer.
This format, which is called and WordPress eXtended RSS or WXR file, will contain your posts, pages, custom post types, comments, custom fields, categories, tags, custom taxonomies, and users.
Once you’ve saved the download file, you can use Administration > Tools > Import > WordPress at another WordPress site to import this data. Note, if using the importer plugin, it has to be enabled.Choose what to export
- All content – export all of your posts, pages, comments, custom fields, terms, navigation menus, and custom posts.
- Posts – check this radio button to expose additional filtering when exporting posts.
- Pages – check this radio button to expose additional filtering when exporting pages.
Click the Download Export File button and the file, with any filters selected, will be created and you will be asked to save that file to your local computer.Back to the Top